I use a Kindle Oasis (9th Generation) for reading light novels, but the ecosystem is very closed, so I need to convert books before I can sideload them. There isn't much structure to these notes, just some things I wanted to write down.
See the kindle-tools repo.
I did want to get a Kobo because of the EPUB support and general more open ecosystem but went for a Kindle instead.
I had two criteria
For the first point
For the second point
Basically, something closed that I knew would work (and had almost all of the work already done) vs. something more open, but unknown.
I also got a Kindle Oasis very cheaply on eBay.
Just writing some things I tried with my old Kobo Touch N905B. I updated to a newer (Sep 2019) firmware, but it still couldn't handle Japanese books. This is almost certainly due to how old the model is, even though they seem to release the same firmware for all of them.
I even installed KOReader on it (almost like a custom firmware), but while it is very easy to load custom dictionaries in the StarDict format (see here), using them on Japanese books is extremely painful. It also couldn't handle furigana. There is no long press to select a word function, you have to manually drag the ends every time, which is error prone. However this also could be due to the age of the model. KOReader does look really good but I think it still needs some work for what I want to do with it. Would be interesting to see if Yomichan could be ported to it, then it would have by far the best dictionary experience available.
TODO: See how a new/recent Kobo behaves, and also how KOReader behaves on it.
Since it doesn't support KF8, it can be used to view the MOBI7 fallback in a dual MOBI file, this is useful for testing.
There are three ways to do this
-dont_append_sourceoption. Some more information about it here.
So KindleGen was the only option for me.
Here are some output file sizes when run with different options (the EPUB I tested it on had images as well as text).
original 13.4 MB kindlegen -> 29.7 MB kindlegen -c0 -> 30.2 MB kindlegen -c1 -> 29.7 MB kindlegen -c2 -> 29.6 MB kindlegen -dont_append_source -> 16.3 MB kindlegen -dont_append_source -c0 -> 16.8 MB kindlegen -dont_append_source -c1 -> 16.3 MB kindlegen -dont_append_source -c2 -> 16.1 MB
NOTE: Run without -c2 first to see if there are any errors, because the compression can take a little time. It also doesn't save much space, so might not be worth it anyway.
A lot of the EPUBs I ran kindlegen on failed to convert because of errors with
Error(prcgen):E24001: The table of content could not be built. ... Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V8 Info(prcgen):I1031: Saving PRC file Info(prcgen):I1032: PRC built successfully Info(prcgen):I1038: MOBI file could not be generated because of errors!
I opened them in the editor in calibre and deleted
toc.ncx, it's not required for EPUB3, see this, and this. Note simply unzipping the EPUB and deleting it will leave a broken EPUB since it is referenced elsewhere in the EPUB.
TODO: Write a script to properly strip toc.ncx, and add it to the repo.
It is also possible to strip the MOBI7 in the dual MOBI to save space, see here. This really isn't worth doing, the savings are small. However I did add it to the repo as
original 13.4 MB kindlegen -dont_append_source -c2 -> kf8-only -> 16.0 MB
A book with horizontal text formatted with calibre, this looks okay.
A book with vertical text formatted with calibre, notice the text selectors have the wrong orientation.
A book with vertical text formatted with calibre, the text is squished right up to the edges of the screen, none of margin settings in calibre fixed this for me. The margin settings on kindle affect vertical text in the vertical direction, so not helpful for this.
A book with vertical text formatted with kindlegen, notice the text selectors are correct.
A book with vertical text formatted with kindlegen, the margins are good!
A dual MOBI with the MOBI7 part replaced with kf8-only.